CalFresh Gardens for Better Living

Did you know that CalFresh benefits, formerly known as food stamps, can be used to purchase seeds and plant starts? Or that more people now qualify for CalFresh benefits due to changes in eligibility requirements? Or that it’s easier than ever to find out if you qualify? You can use CalFresh at many local grocery stores and Farmer’s Markets – where you can support local producers by buying fresh foods as well as seeds and plant starts.

Planting your own garden using seeds purchased with CalFresh is a way to maximize both the health and economic benefits of utilizing CalFresh. A $3 packet of seeds can grow WAY more food than can be purchased with $3 at the store -especially for produce grown without synthetic chemicals. In addition to organically-grown, fresh, nutrient-dense, and culturally appropriate foods, gardens also provide opportunities for physical activity and stress reduction. A lifestyle which regularly includes exercise, stress reduction, and a diet featuring fresh and nutritious foods are key factors to achieving optimal health and preventing chronic epidemic diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.

CalFresh News
Receive CalFresh and Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Starting on June 1st, 2019 the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services began accepting CalFresh Applications from SSI recipients.
For questions or to apply, contact: Food for People (707)-445-3166 ext. 308 or 318
Or apply directly over the phone with DHHS: 1-(877)-410-8809
Apply online at

Market Match 

Use your CalFresh EBT card at any of the 7 farmers markets in Humboldt County with the Market Match program. Look for the North Coast Growers Association tent, there they will swipe your EBT card for up to $10 and in return you will receive double that amount in market tokens. You can then use these tokens to buy local produce, meat, flowers, and much more. Stretching you food budget and supporting local farmers is a win win!

Get Cal Fresh Today!

You can learn more by clicking the link below, contacting the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services at (877) 410-8809 or 929 Koster St in Eureka, or contacting Food for People at (707) 445-3166 or 307 West 14th Street in Eureka. You can also visit or for more information or to apply online. Food for People also has many CalFresh resources available at